Copyright © The Way Up the Mountain
Design by Dzignine
Monday, October 27, 2014

Rising Fall

Suggested soundtrack: Medicine by Daughter (Sound Remedy remix) 
or if you don't like techno remixes:
Medicine by Daughter (original)

 

“A person needs new experiences. They jar something deep inside, allowing him to grow. Without change, something sleeps inside us and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken.” 

- Dune

 

I gave a lecture in Wheaton, my old home, recently. It was great to see family and friends. The lecture itself was about Kundalini Awakening. You will be able to find it HERE when they post it if it is something that piques your interest.

The other lecture I gave was in Milwaukee entitled The Meaning of Suffering. It is ironic and interesting to me that this lecture is coupled with my first visit home in the Midwest after moving to sunny San Diego. So many people have seasonal affective disorder, and there is this somber overcast for many people in the Fall.

For me, however, October is my favorite month to be in a true Fall season. Not only is everything changing color but being German-Irish, I love the cold overcast. It is suitable that when everyone is depressed I feel very much alive.

I enjoy visiting study lodges, perhaps more than lecturing at the headquarters, because the format allows for more round table discussion. Because of the nature of the subject of suffering, it was even more important that I was upbeat and looked at all the touchy subjects with a sense of compassion. We shared stories about depression and seasonal affective disorder, we talked about the deaths of people close to us, and we talked about the idea of “have to's”.

I explained that the four noble truths the Buddha taught are about freedom from attachment, and we typically think of attachment as desire. “Have to” or “supposed to” is just as much an attachment, and while desire sends us seeking outward for gratification, holding ourselves and the rest of the world accountable to necessary standards leads to depression, because it fuels an anger that goes inward.

Another way of phrasing this is a quote that was once spoken to me: “The pursuit of justice is the end of spiritual growth.” Think on it.




A book I recommend, which I also talked a little about, is by the Theosophist, Vic Hao Chin, entitled The Process of Self Transformation. The intent of the book is to teach a technique purging oneself of stress, painful trauma, phobias, and anger. In essence, to expedite the freedom from suffering.

What I found remarkable about the book, and when I was actually taught the technique, is that it educates you on how suffering works from a spiritual and scientific perspective. The technique incorporates elements from Vipasana meditation, mindfulness practice, energy healing, cognitive psychology, and an understanding of the personal hierarchy of needs. It is also known, although not stated in the book, that there are a number of clairvoyants that Vic trusted who helped him as he was testing and constructing these practices which culminated in his work and the technique of 'processing'.




I've met Vic several times, including the opportunity to learn the technique from him in a class for about a week in Krotona. As I recall, this was almost 3 years ago and I was coming from visiting the San Diego monastery for the first time. I told John Drais where I was going, and he told me to say hi to Vic for him.

When I arrived at the large hall in Krotona I approached Vic and told him my name and that I worked at the national headquarters in Wheaton. He nodded and gave a polite smile, in typical reserved Vic Hao Chin manner. Then I said, “I have the privilege also of bringing greetings from John Drais at Madre Grande Monastery.” I think I may have tilted my head forward a little if I'm remembering it right, unnoticeable to the casual observer, but I was very much feeling like a formal messenger in the moment.

Vic's formal smile broke out into a completely unreserved one. “Oh!” he said, “You just came from the monastery?” I said that I had. “John is a longtime friend of mine, give him my best! How is he?” I said he was doing well. Vic smiled  and said “I am glad. Thank you.”

What I learned from Vic's class, and what I spoke of in both my lectures is the idea that understanding what we are, and how we work in a spiritual and energetic manner, can allow us to function more happily.

 













0 comments:

Post a Comment