Copyright © The Way Up the Mountain
Design by Dzignine
Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Past the Horizon


My intention in what I write, as well as in what I do day to day, is to stay positive. So when I spend the good part of a month in politics, tying up loose ends here and there, or listening to various people vent about different things, it feels like a lot of uneventful stuff sometimes. Perhaps I have a selective memory about these things.

And yet, this was a very eventful month - some of which I would like to focus on more intently with actual narrative later, such as the dedication of the new labyrinth at Madre Grande monastery for the Autumnal Equinox.

The majority of this month was spent volunteering up at Far Horizons camp, and with settling many ongoing political disagreement regarding the wonderful place. I am happy to say that, despite the constant uphill, we are moving toward a good place. Next year the camp will have a more Theosophical focus, and there will be a carefully conducted election this year with the cooperation of everyone involved. At worst, we will have some debt to contend with, but I'll take that over arguing over who gets to be in charge.


Trin and I walking at the running stream off of Far Horizon property.

Another significant benefit of this whole Far Horizons business is that I got to know my Paracelsian Order brethren, Ken and Trin, much better. Ken and Trin became interested in being more involved with the camp since they live at the foot of the mountain in Fresno, to the point of starting a Fresno Theosophical study group. And Trin, being close to my age, has a similar interest as I do in bringing Theosophy to a younger crowd. As such, Trin and I both volunteered up at camp for awhile.

Ken and Trin are both awesome people, and I am glad Amber and I are brothers with them. That's enough to say for now, otherwise it might come off disingenuous.

Other things to be grateful for that happened this month in Amber and my settling into San Diego:
- Amber and I both have jobs. This is such a relief, and I feel as if I can begin focusing more on my mission in Theosophy.
- We have moved down from the mountain into a great place. It is an apartment in an old Victorian house, which is a joy for Amber to be in.
- I have created a curriculum of books to study up at Madre Grande and we have created a regular group to study that material.
- The United Lodge of Theosophists study branch near here has asked me to teach a class on the Mahatma letters.
- I have gotten to know some of the people in a Theosophical town in California.  It is called Halcyon, and the group is called the Temple of the People. They have been involved with Far Horizons for a few years now.
- I got to meet and talk with David Christensen at Far Horizons, who is a Theosophist that I have respected and wanted to meet for a little while now. Do read his article from Quest magazine.

Good things. It is almost time to really dig into my work. But for now, let us just focus on some pictures from Far Horizons, and be grateful for a wonderful opportunity that was granted to me, and the experience to observe all around me as it unfolded.

This tree was dedicated to the Theosophist Geoffrey Hodson (who I wrote an article on once).
The spiritual presence near this tree is palpable to many people who are near it.


A close up picture of the stream taken by Amber

Ken and Trin taking a picture with David Bruce, National Secretary of the TSA

Amber and I with David Bruce. It was good to see him again, as I did work with him for 4 years in Wheaton, IL.


Mount Silimon, a very visible mountain from Far Horizons.

I had fun.

1 comments:

  1. Eventful, noneventful, all you have is the present event. All you are is the present event.

    ReplyDelete