Copyright © The Way Up the Mountain
Design by Dzignine
Saturday, October 31, 2015

More Hope: One Final Post


I’ve decided to go back and tell how this all turned out for me. It ended well. We visited many friends in California. We went on vacations such as Ojai and Las Vegas. We knew we had to move back home to Illinois with our family so we saw the Grand Canyon on the way back. Amber cried profusely.




Halloween is my favorite holiday, and we got to spend our last day in San Diego on Halloween promptly leaving the next day. In the evening we celebrated by going to the excellent decorations on a single street near our Victorian house apartment. This street has actors and animatronics complete with a moving dragon. 




Though during the day we went to Coronado and got to see all the kids in costume going from shop to shop trick or treating. They were all adorable, and some of them even got to have ice cream from the local shops along the way. I know I got some ice cream while walking around watching them with my wife.

The next morning we cleaned out our apartment, got in the car, and drove back home. Like I said we did indeed stop by the Grand Canyon.

The Meaning of Life




I have to say my favorite part about San Diego is simply the walks. There are gorges and cliffs and the ocean. They even have mountains. When I was working my contract job I would often take long breaks in the middle of the day to go to Balboa Park and back. There was a very specific tree with thin white bark that I would touch, say hello, then begin my walk back home.

The meaning of life is to be kind to people. Then choose the ones you love most. Then keep those ones you love most as happy as you can make them for as long as you can until they leave you in some way. But as the saying goes, no one is ever really gone. That’s how I feel about my time in California. It is still with me. That beach, any of them, is still churning inside of me.




I’ll say it once again. The meaning of life is to be kind to people. I ended up finding a way to be kind to people in every job I had since I left. And as always my wife is always the first and foremost someone in my life. Everything else falls away like grains on the ocean sand.

The Passing On of Brutus





Brutus is our special guy. We moved back into my parents house for a time and he enjoyed living on their ground floor, where there was a full sliding glass window for him to go to every day as he looked out at the nature in their backyard.

He lived long enough to move out of their house with us and into a nice duplex apartment. His last days were spent watching the olympics with Amber every day. When it was his time to go we took him to the local park and took our last pictures with him. At the vet we comforted him every step of the way as he fell asleep. Then we proceeded to bawl ourselves to profuse state, and comfort each other afterward.

Two More Buns


It didn’t take long for us to buy a house and realize our home was an ideal place for another pair of bonded rabbits. We found a mother daughter pair that didn’t want to be separated named Rosemary and Sage (the father was named Parsley). We changed their names instead to Rosalie and Sage and they became a part of our family.







They didn’t love us the same way Brutus did but that didn’t prevent Amber from constantly telling them stories about him, and about his wife named Clover that he had previous to this blog.

I would like to express my deepest gratitude for how this blog started, which was just a way for people to follow me on our travel across the country. What ended up actually happening is that this became a memento for me to look back on, especially in the use of pictures. I’m sure I’ll continue to look back upon this page for a long time, reminding my wife of each photo and asking her if she remembers each memory as well as I do. Then she will explain each memory back to me from her perspective and we will both relive them all over again.















0 comments:

Post a Comment